Merchandise Category Specialist
El Dorado, AR
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The Merchandise Category Specialist will be responsible for the analytical analysis of all alcoholic beverage, Tobacco, and Lottery categories at the category, sub-category and product levels. The Specialist will develop and execute in collaboration with the Category Manager and Director retail pricing strategies for approximately 1,500 store locations selling merchandise to maximize revenue and margin contribution inside the categories.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Perform data mining, product level sales reporting, margin projection, market basket analysis, category trend analysis, category forecasting, market benching, and promotional analysis.
2. Develop and maintain relationships with key vendor partners and their distributors to ensure accuracy and timeliness of inventory cost changes, related buy-ins, and promotional activity.
3. Update Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) analysis for all categories and assist the Director of Merchandise and Category Manager with the development of overall category plans, tactics, and specific strategies.
4. Regular review and analysis of the cost/retail position of the category. Identify and resolve cost discrepancies within the wholesales network and partner with MUSA accounting to resolve issues on invoice costs.
5. Field and respond to product assortment and planogram opportunities and questions voiced by the local sales and operations teams that impact specific store locations.
6. Conduct initial setup and ongoing maintenance of invoice payment systems by store and distributor.
7. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Broad knowledge of such fields as accounting, marketing, business administration, finance, etc. Equivalent to a four year college degree, plus 3 years related experience and/or training, and 7 to 11 months related management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.