Tax Specialist I
El Dorado, AR
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The Tax Specialist will manage data gathering and data input duties for the property tax team and be responsible for maintaining and staging files and electronic records required for property tax compliance and document retention. This position will also analyze property tax reporting requirements and data from retail systems, ledgers, invoicing systems, and local taxing jurisdictions to determine indirect tax liability to federal, state, and local taxing authorities. The Tax Specialist also assures compliance with tax deadlines and initiates the overall property tax process for returns, tax bills, and value notices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Process information received from state and local taxing jurisdictions and coordinate distribution of information to the tax team or scan to shared electronic folders as needed.
2. Create and maintain records for site information needed for property tax compliance. Collaborate with other departments within the organization to ensure all data is received in a timely manner.
3. Process value notices received by updating information in the property tax software (PTMS) and identifying significant changes to be reviewed by the property tax team. File and store information in shared folders for later use by the team.
4. Oversee mailing of all property tax returns and property tax bills to ensure deadlines are met and available timely discounts are taken.
5. Assist with state and local tax audits, lead audit tasks such as data gathering and analysis and be responsible for documenting audit history and updating values in PTMS based on audit results.
6. Explain and/or seek to resolve any tax return or tax data related issues to internal clients, advisory personnel, and taxing authorities.
7. Maintain awareness and understanding of tax law changes by researching state and local tax code and monitoring legislative changes. Ensure and maintain compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley and document changes as needed.
8. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Knowledge of a specialized fields (however acquired), such as accounting, marketing, business administration, finance, etc. Equivalent of four years in high school, plus night, trade extension, or correspondence school specialized training or experience, equal to two years of college.